Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday Night

Well, it's Saturday night at around 12:48am and I am doing laundry. ha ha. I needed to do it. I waited til the last second I possibly could, and in the evening is really the only time we have. I have last load in the washer and I just have to throw my other one in the dryer. A bunch of people went out to the club tonight, I wasn't in the mood. So, Ej, Beth, and I are just chilling, and in between, I'm making trips to the basement for the laundry. :)

Two nights ago, I had some crazy dreams. One was about the fall of Russia and the other one I was in the Bahamas and saw Emily and Liam. Weird. Then in Chekhov class when we were getting into our imganation and he was giving us scenarios with out eyes closed, I began floating. Up, up, up to the sun. My body was so light. It was like I was weightless. I talked to my friend Christyna after and after this feeling was the feeling of levitation. So, apparently I levitated. Cool. I wasn't literally off the ground, but all my energy was going up.

We saw this show last night called Country of Love (the Snow Maiden in America). It was so good. The dancing was just phenomenal. Hip hop mixed with contemporary all to tell the story. Also, music, song, and acting were incorporated. It was just a very exciting piece of theatre to see, and also very beautiful. The finale, they were all in gold and then the lights all went gold, coolest spectacle I've seen.

Today we had movement. We did the caterpillar across the floor. Feet, then hips, then upper body, then head. It's kinda crazy, but fun, and difficult. Then the "princess and the elephant." Where the men had their backs straight and the woman would stand on them and you had to walk around with them. Both people had to keep their concentration and balance in order for it to work and someone to not get hurt. It was surprising how light the girls felt.

Acting was next and we discussed the shows and theatre. One of the things is how remarkable everyone here in Moscow in regards to theatre and how much they respect it. Every night the theatre is packed, sold out, whether it's a Tuesday evening or Friday evening. The curtain call is an event in itself. They come out maybe 3 times, sometimes more. Everyone ends up clapping in unison somehow and people can bring flowers to the stage and give them to the actors. It's so great to watch and be a part of. Oh, also the lights come up during the curtain call so that the actors can acknowledge th audience also because the audience is such a big part of their show. It's just so cool how theatre is such a big and important part of these people's lives. America's theatre just hasn't been around as long.

Tonight we saw King Lear. It was really great, yet very abstract. I've noticed in a lot of shows, they keep the sets minimal and use other things such as large pieces of fabric or material...like gigantic pieces. It can used for deaths, beautiful moments, love, or even birth. i just love how every aspect of art is incorporated into everything...every aspect is just as imporant as the next.

Tomorrow I think EJ and I are going to go to the Kremlin adn Lenin's Tomb and maybe some shopping. Then either Ivanov or Swan Lake in the evening. Fun filled day. :)

EJ and Beth are yelling at me because they want to hang out. Gotta go. Love and miss you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Frank!
It's Aunt Jenni. Man, your blogs have been really neat to read. So interesting. I started with the one from this Saturday when we were at Grandma's for Father's Day and I've worked backwards. It's been awesome living vicariously though you. Katie's been on reading everything too. Once I get these kids out of college I'm SO heading to Europe! Lucky you! Keep having the "trip of a lifetime", Frank! :-)